Story extracted from: ThePapare
A squad of 8 has been selected to represent Sri Lanka at the 19th Asian Junior Squash Team Championship 2019, scheduled to be held from the 16th – 20th January in Pattaya, Thailand.
Sri Lanka is no stranger to the Asian Junior circuit, having participated in many of its previous editions. The Championship will be played in accordance with Regulation Q of the ASF Championship Regulations. Teams are seeded by the ASF Seeding Committee and are grouped into 2 Pools where they will proceed with Group play-offs.
This year, the tournament has attracted 12 nations; Sri Lanka has been drawn into Pool A alongside India, Pakistan, Korea, Chinese Taipei and host nation Thailand. Pool B will include teams from Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Kuwait and China.
The teams will play to reach the top 4 positions in their respective pools to enter the play-offs for the top 4. Likewise, the next group of 4 will play for the 5th – 8th positions and the final lot will play through 9th – 12th places.
Following are the selected players:
- Druvinka Perera (Royal College, Colombo)
- Methmal Wood (Royal College, Colombo)
- Tuwin Nilakshana (D. S. Senanayake College, Colombo)
- Heshan Balasuriya (Royal College, Colombo)
- Kasuni Gunawardena (Visaka Vidyalaya, Colombo)
- Sameera Deen (Holy Family Convent, Colombo)
- Chanithma Sinaly (Sirimavo Bandaranaiye Vidyalaya)
- Devmini Gallage (Sirimavo Bandaranaiye Vidyalaya)